Sunday, December 7, 2008

A World Populated by Snotty Writers

Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire post, because I got too annoyed to finish it.

****

So, big pet peeve of mine: Open Salon. Oh, how I hate Open Salon, and let me give you a snippet of it just so you can taste the Bitter Bitter Princesses for themselves

I don't want to compete with all the Internet for attention—I can already do that by just posting to any of my several domains. I want the one thing that makes Open Salon different—a personal conversation with intelligent people who are actually committed to being here and chatting about important things. What a special thing.

But once people who are posting elsewhere can dump their stuff here as an extra offload point, I expect you to continue the already annoying trend of featuring people with offsite blogs as editor's picks because I sense that you mistakenly seek to create the cyberspace equivalent of a kind of metropolitan cachet.
What, the rest of the blogosphere isn't good enough for you "real writers"?

Eat a dick.

Snobbery. Elitism. The Ivory Tower and the Benign Dictatorship of the Intelligentsia.

EAT. A. DICK.

By opening up Open Salon to less worthy writers, perhaps you could engage not in a community, but in a true plurality of voices. Yes, it's true, very rarely can you have both quantity and quality, but c'mon, people, Teh Interwebs are for everyone, and lets not forget that. (And let us not forget that they are also for everyone who is lucky enough to have a computer.)

It's this prima donna attitude that I find so offensive in writers like Augusten Burroughs and Elizabeth Wurtzel, but at least I can leave them on the shelf at Borders. You're telling me your prissy asses are going to be following me all the way home?

Screw you.

I'll stay with my pedestrian blogger site and try and remember that the world doesn't revolve around me or any imagined online "community". I suggest, Writer Dear, that you do the same.

3 comments:

Nessa said...

I sucked it up and read the entire post and if he believes he's one of the best, one of the "intelligent," he needs a reality check.

Tiara said...

I went and read that post and about 1/3 of the comments before closing the link because I couldn't read anymore. It's fascinating how people behave in a "closed gate community" sort of setting, all in the name of keeping things "good" and "high quality".

Reading random blogs to find a "good" one is part of the process, isn't it? I mean, what's good to me would be crap to someone else.

They can have their elitist blog circle jerk, personally I prefer to read the blog of a writer that tells snotty writers to "EAT. A. DICK."!

Nessa said...

He sounds like a spoiled child who will take his ball home if he can't pitch even though there may be someone out there better at it.