Monday, November 3, 2008

Day Two Recap: Dialogue Markers

Well, Day Two was not as smooth as Day One, but I got in my 1667 words. I'm not so sure if I like forcing myself to write in these average chunks. I'm kind of wishing that I had kept writing the first day well past the 1667 marker, because I was on a roll.

So now I'm thinking that I need to write in terms of scenes, just complete my scenes one at a time, if they're big, break them up a little, but anything to keep the thread going.

I'm also puzzling right now over dialogue markers. The thing is, I hate dialogue markers, especially the "creative" ones: she exhaled, he shouted, they snorted, etc. Too forced.

So I'm trying to write without dialogue markers, not even quotation marks. It's ridiculously hard, and may, in fact, be slowing me down significantly right now. But at the same time, it is a great challenge to try and figure out how to do this, and I love a good stylistic challenge.

It's time for me to do my evening writing, so I'd best get to it... See you later for the Day Three Recap!

No comments: