Saturday, November 15, 2008

Whereupon I Bitch Some More about NaNoWriMo

Dear God, I have read far too much literary theory.

This is my thinking, all you WriMos out there: BREAK THE RULES.

Of course, to break the rules, you have to know the rules... and therein lies my problem with NaNoWriMo: too many people writing that don't know/respect/dare to challenge the rules.

I know this all sounds really elitist, and that I should be celebrating the fact that so many people are connecting with their inner novelist, but c'mon let's get real about what the future hold for these novels.

  1. There will be a wonderful sense of accomplishment that the WriMo will receive upon finishing... hell, even upon starting.
  2. There will be a tremendous burst of creativity that will be very satisfying to the writer.
  3. There will be a tremendous crash when this project comes suddenly (and arbitrarily) to an end.
  4. For some, there will be a drawer somewhere in the house with a manuscript somewhere in the stages of completion that will languish indefinitely.
  5. For others, there will be grandiosity that leads to attempts to find an agent, who then crushes the hopes of the WriMo by telling them to go back to the drawing board.
  6. For a very select few, there will be revision and rewriting, a similar hunt for an agent, and the shopping around for a publisher who will either accept or reject the book which is now entirely different from what emerged during the course of November.
People, this is not your shot at immortality! This is your shot at self-actualization. Any immortality that results is not because of NaNoWriMo. It is because of what happens after NaNoWriMo.

However, to give NaNoWriMo its due... none of the immortality would come about without the ballsy aspiration to write a novel in a month.

::sigh::

OK, NaNoWriMo, you win. I'll take my frustration and place it squarely where it belongs: with my own failure to produce and my constant procrastination reading the forum topics and mocking them.

I'm a horrible person.

No comments: