Monday, November 10, 2008

Online Life

I'm exhausted. Everything in my life is exhausting right now. It's just too much. NaBloPoMo and NaNoWriMo are eating my soul.

I keep thinking about how now everyone's building a life online in some way or other, even just with email. I have a friend who said that he now finds it unusual when people *don't* have a blog or some sort of website. MySpace, LiveJournal, Facebook... We are building a Second Life. Which isn't even mentioning Second Life.

We are becoming a society devoid of privacy, exhibitionists all of us. But you know, I think that's a pessimistic way to look at it. I really believe that our gravitation towards having an online presence is a way of breaking out of the isolation of our daily lives. I think it is symptomatic of a world that has gotten very lonely in recent years. We're reaching out to each other, complete strangers.

If you think about it, it's really quite beautiful.

.... Now if only we could stop judging each other...

1 comment:

Tiara said...

NaNoWriMo/NaBloPoMo are soul eating, I totally agree! But like I said in my blog, be nice to yourself, you've already won just by starting! (yes, the optimist in me is alive and well today.)

The world we've created of online life _is_ a beautiful thing IMO, the lives of introverts will never be the same! I think many of us find connections online that we just can't find in the physical world around us, a fact both frustrating and amazing at the same time.