Sunday, November 9, 2008

Modernism & the Word War

I've got a ton of books on Modernism. Considering that the Postmodern Genre has been totally played out, I've decided to return to the source of all things individualistic and rebellious, my one great love, Modernism.

I'm not sure I understand all the social and political forces that went into the creation of such works of beauty as "To the Lighthouse" (which I'm presently reading) or "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon", but no matter... it's the result that's important, more than anything else.

I find Virginia Woolf's style to be absolutely inspired, and I'm using "Mrs. Dalloway" and "To the Lighthouse" as tutors in this endeavor.

The problem is... I've gotten so caught up in my research on Modernist style(s) that my word count has only minimally increased over the past 36 hours.

One of the problems is that the book is kind of stalled, action-wise. I'm having too much fun exploring the inner motivations of my character and so I'm just having her walk around the house, making coffee, rearranging furniture, etc, all while thinking about her life. It's fun! But I'm afraid it will be just plain boring to the reader.

But we'll see.

Anyway, that's the update for today. Now back to the Word War.

1 comment:

Tiara said...

Hey, I thought you were going to be the only "reader" of your novel? As long as her musings while she goes about her day are interesting to YOU, then you've got the reader's attention. ;-P

Word counts are evil.