Thursday, October 23, 2008

Late Night Editing

I'm going back to the Triangle Story tonight that still has no formal title and doing some edits before I submit it to some lit mags to see if they like it. It's an odd little tale... not in the way that sci-fi/fantasy fiction is odd... but rather it is odd structurally, being based on Euclidean geometry and everything. It's a real Math-Section SAT multiple-choice genre of a story. Might be off-putting to the hoomanists, but we'll see.

It's nice to get back to writing, and all this editing (something I usually never do) is making me see where I've been led astray in my own work. It is one word, this villain, and it is the adverb!!! I abuse adverbs like "clearly" and "truly" and "broken-legged-ly"... meaning, I tend to make adverbs where there shouldn't be any.

Sad. I'm in my thirties and I still haven't disciplined my adverbs after so many admonitions by so many professors at the many many institutions I've attended.

I just spilled a cup of 7-11 Obama all over myself, but luckily not on the bedspread. I'm writing in bed tonight... not quite sure why when I have a perfectly good office waiting for me.

NaNoWriMo is still tempting me. I hear its siren song. Should I stuff my ears with wax so that I don't hear it anymore? Or is the song emerging... from inside?

No comments: