Monday, October 20, 2008

Why I Haven't Been Blogging About Diners

The title of my blog alludes to a voyage I made many years ago to hit as many diners in South Jersey in one day as possible. I think I got through... three?... before I got tired of crap coffee, tuna melts and (occasionally, still pretty rare) grits. It wasn't about the food, really, why I did the diner tour. It was to get to know my homeland.

I'm not blogging about diners right now because I'm attempting, in a different way, to get to know my homeland--America--via the Internet. See who's out there, poking around in corners.

What I've found has disturbed me so much that I've been unable to blog about anything other than the election, really, with the exception of the occasional post about Stouffer's Mac n Cheese (in the freezer aisle, go buy some when you have a chance!)

We're so divided right now. We have been for so many years. Why can't we elect someone who would be a unifier? Plurality is the basis of this country, but apparently so is animosity. It's so hard to accept the plausibility of opposing views when you know you are right.

In the words of Rodney King, whose plea gathers more poignancy and pathos by the day: Can't we all just get along?

Apparently not. I hope and pray for a day when we stop judging each other and start learning to be kind to each other, and forgiving of each others' foibles and differing views.

What's to fear? A better society? A tolerant one?

I guess, in the end, it's just politics as usual.

How very, very sad.

And she wept.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I just found your blog, although you have not blogged about diners yet. I have a blog called "Diner Hotline" it has been up for 1 year this coming Friday and has become very popular. It is getting close to 23,000 hits.
Check it out at http://dinerhotline.wordpress.com

Larry Cultrera