Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Falling Asleep in the Bathtub

I needed to relax tonight. The whole kerfuffle over my email to my friends is gnawing at me-- I really ruffled a few feathers, and for that reason, couldn't get to sleep. So I decided to tune out the world, the election, the voices in my head and take a nice long bath with lavender bath salts. I eased into the tub, the water almost too hot to stand, taking very slow, long, deep breaths, and rested my head on the cool porcelain. I turned down the volume of chatter inside and tried to relax my muscles... ahhhhh....

... why is the water cold?

I startle awake. I have fallen asleep in the bathtub, something my mother always warned me against. I get out of the tub, go into the kitchen and look at the clock on the microwave... I'd been asleep for 35 minutes. No dreams. My mind just turned itself off completely.

Lavender Bath Salts, how I love you!

Now going to bed.

1 comment:

Tiara said...

My mother used to warn me about that since I'd often take hour long baths (or longer). In a house with 4 other people, the bathroom was the only place I could lock the door and be left alone for a while...

I hope that nap in the bathtub turns into one hell of a good night's sleep for you!